Monday, February 22, 2016

Module 8 Reflection Post: A Hong Kong Odyssey

When I first read this brief article my first thought was, "Wow! What a waste of money!" Obviously I don't think the Hong Kong trip was a good idea. I feel the band director could have done so much more for the band students and kept things closer to home that would have had a more positive impact on the students and the community.

When I was a student I know I went on a few school trips through the music department. None of them were as extensive as going out of the Country, but I still felt that I learned a lot on these trips. I think one of the things that this band director could have done was to take the band on trip that was within driving distance. I know a lot of band programs that go on a Disney World trip once every four years. One of my experiences was going to New York City - we were able to participate in various musical opportunities, sight-see, and see a Broadway musical.

The fact that the director was so dead-set on taking the band to Hong Kong is just frustrating. After reading that the band didn't raise enough money. I think the director should have made an executive decision to either refund the money OR to use it for something else - either a cheaper trip or an investment in new materials/technology.

Another option that would been better would be to take the band to see a professional performance. Many educators can receive discounts on tickets to professional orchestras or wind ensembles. In fact, if it weren't for those opportunities to see these professional musicians I don't think many students would ever go. To benefit the entire school community - I think the band director could also pursue inviting a professional music group to perform for the entire school. If he couldn't get a professional group I think a college group would have also been a nice treat for the school. It might also inspire students who aren't involved in music to join the band.

No comments:

Post a Comment