Behaviorist Approach:
I would begin by playing a recording of the piece for my student. I wouldn't give them the piano score, I would ask the student to just listen. Next I would discuss with my student the emotion in the piece. I would then give them the score back and have them follow along and ask them to mark any place where a certain emotion seems to strike them. Obviously the end goal is to be able to play this piece with the emotion that Beethoven intended. We would work together slowly. Each week/lesson I would hope that the student would begin to use more emotion. To encourage this, I would give the student a compliment any time they played expressively. Hopefully, the student would associate emotive playing with praise and compliments.
Cognitivist Approach:
Many times when learning a new piece it would seem easier to break it apart by playing each hand separately. Unfortunately I don't think that would work in this piece. Instead, I would break the song apart phrase by phrase. I would work with my student to play phrase one with both hands SLOWLY. Then to go back and do it again. I would ask the student to look through the score and see if there are any other times where that phrase repeats. Throughout each lesson I would ask the student to focus on one phrase at a time. It would be up to the student to work at home and work on discovering similarities and differences between the phrases - then bring that knowledge back to the lesson.
No comments:
Post a Comment