Sunday, February 21, 2016

Module 7 Reflection Post: Developing Musical Concepts

1. Second Grade. Musical Concept: AB form
In second grade I use the song "Shoo Fly" to teach AB form. Prior to this, we've discussed form in terms of "same and different." So now we are beginning to label the concept. I would begin the lesson by just playing the song and allowing the student to follow along in their music. I would then ask the students to listen again, but to raise their hand when they hear the music changes. I would then talk about how instead of saying same and different we are now going to label these sections as either A or B. To further the reinforcement of this concept I would ask students to do one movement for the A section and something different for the B section.

2. Third Grade. Musical Concept: Harmony (rounds)
While we may have discussed the concept of harmony prior to 3rd grade, I don't actually begin to teach them ways to create harmony until 3rd grade. To help students understand what rounds are I show them this video:
I tell them to "ignore" the two women at the bottom of the screen because that isn't something we are working on. After watching the video I ask students what they noticed and probe them into discussing how everyone was singing the same song, only starting at different times. I then use "Make New Friends" to teach rounds because I believe it is easy enough to understand. Once the students have mastered the song, I begin by being the "part 2" and echoing the students. Then I divide the class in half and have them try to create a round. If they're feeling confident enough I'll record them and show them their performance at the end of class.

3. Fourth grade. Line and Space Notes (on Treble Clef)
I struggle greatly with getting my students to apply the concept of musical notation with their recorder. We start the school year by learning and practicing the line and space notes on the treble clef. However, once we start recorders it seems that the students have forgotten everything. Here is a list of things that I do to foster their knowledge of line and space notes:
  • Ticket "In" the door - before entering each student is shown a line or space note on a flashcard that they must name
  • When learning a new song the first thing I ask students to do is say the letters of the notes
  • Making the connection of note reading and playing by having students sing the letters in a song or exercise while simultaneously using the correct fingering pattern
  • Play games at the end of class that reinforce note reading (ex. relay games, team games, iPad games)
  • Compose a song for recorder using notes that they have learned to play and to write it on manuscript paper
4. Fifth grade. Singing with appropriate tone
Usually by 5th grade, students stop singing in their head voice. My personal guess is because the music that they are listening to and imitating is not in their vocal range, but in an adult's range. To help with this, I look for arrangements of popular songs either from movies or on the radio and use those to encourage proper singing. Furthermore,  I show videos of various performances (I especially like PS22 choir because they do popular songs, but some of their performances have the students singing in a low range too so I have to be careful). Here's one of the PS22 chorus with special guest Christina Perri - I point out to students that the students are singing a higher harmony during the chorus:




No comments:

Post a Comment