Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Module 3 Reflection Post: Aesthetic Experience

I feel that everyone who listens to music will, at some point, have an aesthetic experience. As one who listens to music, for the sake of listening to music, I can say that I've had these experiences many times in my lifetime so far. One experience takes me back to my freshman year of college.

I'll admit that as a vocal major, my listening habits centered around vocal music. Yes, I'd heard instrumental and classical music before, but it wasn't my first choice when looking for something to listen to. I remember walking into the concert hall without any expectations. The lights dimmed and I listened to the various works, but nothing really hit a chord until the final piece.

The music began and I literally felt like I was being transported. When the cello came in, I was in awe. I honestly don't know what it was about the piece, but it was beyond beautiful. Like the text states, it's something that can't be described. I just know that for the first time I was brought to tears by the sheer beauty of an instrumental work.

If I thought the first movement was stunning, the second was even better. Listening to it again, I'm filled with a mix of emotions. At times the yearning and cry of the viola fills me with a great sense of loss. At others, I feel as if I'm weightless - floating over the world.

I'm so happy that this assignment allowed me to experience a similar emotional connection when searching (and finding) the composition I was looking for. It was actually a world premiere by one of the professors at the University. (Concerto for Viola and Cello by David Gillingham)

No comments:

Post a Comment